Saturday, September 6, 2008

Article Assessment #1 - Listen to the Natives

Shannon Hendricks (marknshan@alaska.net) 9/6/08

Listen to the Natives - By Marc Prensky

Overview -
This article brings to teachers attention the difference between us and them. Teachers are digital immigrants, while students are digital natives. Being a digital native means to Marc that these students are native speakers of technology and are well versed in the language of computers and video games. He stresses that the traditional catch-up methods that teachers and administrators use such as in service days are not enough. He also points out that educators need to find a way to incorporate more technology into the classrooms and by that not just computers.

Technologies such as mp3 players, ipods, cell phones, blogs and much more need to be integrated. Students are familiar with these avenues of learning and will enjoy the work more
and be more willing to do it. Marc also believes that students should be given the choice of the classes they take and what students they cooperate with in the class. He points out that we herd our students and instead we need to let them be involved in virtual groups so that no one gets left out of the learning process.

Another point that he brings out is that students should be learning 21st century subjects such as; nanotechnology, bioethics, genetic medicine and neuroscience. He states that if we don't stop and listen to our students we will be left with buildings to manage with students that are physically or mentally somewhere else.

Important Trinkets -
1) Teachers are digital immigrants trying to teach digital natives
2) We need to select our teachers for their empathy and not just for subject matter knowledge.
3) Today's educators have digital immigrant accents. They will always have one foot in the past.
4) Teachers should ask their students what equipment they would like to see in the classroom and then make every effort to get it.
5) We should teach students how to
level up their education.
6) "This may sound like the inmates are running the asylum" I love how he parallels a school to an insane asylum.
7) "Herding" = involuntary assignment to specific classes or groups, not for their benefit but for ours.
8) Teachers can deliver lessons over cell phones and use text messaging to quiz or test students.
9) In other countries students are already using their cell phones as learning tools. The US needs to catch up.

My Reflections

This article had a lot of good points; and then some I wasn't so sure about. First of all I don't consider myself a digital immigrant, but I know that many teachers are. I think as the "old" generation of teachers start to retire. The new
fresh teachers may be able to keep up with their students. I find that I play many of the video games my students do and visit many of the same websites daily as they do. One student even told me that my Ipod looked like I stole all the music from his girlfriend, to which I replied "whatev" (thanks Di).

I do agree that we should ask our students what they are using for fun at home and how we can use some of that stuff in the classroom. As I get older I am sure that I will get more out of touch with what kids are doing and this will become a valuable tool. I do like the idea that students should be able to
level up while learning. But this idea leads me to a problem.

Is Marc Prensky trying to phase out
teachers and turn us into programmers?

If the goal is to let our students learn all of their curriculum on a computer and through cell phones, what good are teachers?

I have mixed feelings about his ideas. I do agree that teachers need to integrate technology, it makes life easier. Students should be able to submit homework on the web, check grades on line, and email their teachers with questions. It seems though Marc wants EVERY aspect of education to revolve around a piece of technology and well I am not ready for that.

As a future educator I do believe that my job is needed. I would never want to plop my kids in front of a computer and say "learn" then walk away. I feel that would be the same as handing them a book and telling them to figure it out.

Technology definitely has awesome applications. But people lets use it the right way please.

No comments: