Monday, October 6, 2008

Research Plan - Energy Conservation

I looked around my house and tried to figure out what "items" in my house used energy. And then I thought about the ones that maybe I don't really need. I came up with a few things that maybe I could live without. My husband and I sleep with a fan on at night. I wonder if we could instead move our bed over a little and utilize the cold air coming from outside as a source for cooled air as we sleep. We would also have to get used to sleeping without "white noise". The other thing that I may be able to live without is my hair dryer. If I showered at night instead of in the morning I could stop using my hair dryer and let nature do the work.
When I am not home I leave the radio on for my dog.....lame I know. I found that radios were not on many of the appliance lists so I decided not to use that one. The website that I found with many appliance lists is
http://www.psnh.com/Residential/ReduceBill/Applianceusage.asp it has a pretty comprehensive list of appliances.
To do this assignment I will have to track the amount of time I use my hair dryer (I don't always use it) and how many hours a day my fan is on in my room. Then I can tally up the data and do a what if analysis for my family, extended family, all the students at West High etc.

No comments: